Here we discuss when a patient should see a doctor about abnormal bleeding.
· You are older than 15 and still have not started your period
· You previously had periods but haven’t had one for more than 3 months
· Your periods are more than 45 days from the first day of one period to the first day of the next period
· You have to change a pad or tampon every 1-2 hours because it is completely soaked (this would be abnormally heavy bleeding for a period)
· If you are passing large lumps of blood or clots
· If you are menopausal with any amount of vaginal bleeding
Contact your doctor urgently if you are soaking through 2 pads or tampons in 1 hour for 2 hours in a row or if you are pregnant with vaginal bleeding.